Kovan is another offering from Sutajio Ko-Usagi, the Open Source hardware company led by Andrew 'bunnie' Huang. Kovan is a smart robotics controller targeted at applications that require fully autonomous operation and high levels of integration. Kovan integrates onto a single PCB all the features you need to build a self-guided robot:
- 4x 1.2A H-bridge motor drivers
- 4x servo drivers
- 8x 10-bit analog inputs (5v/3.3v selectable range)
- 8x digital I/O (5v/3.3v selectable levels)
- Rapid-prototyping headers
- 3-axis accelerometer
- 802.11b/g wifi
- 2x USB 2.0 ports
- 2x 3.3V UART (one console, one expansion)
- IR rx & demodulator
- IR tx (modulation done in FPGA)
- LCD + touchscreen connector (natively supports 3.5" screen)
- Mono audio output
- Pushbutton and status LED indicators
- Linux core running on 800 MHz ARM w/128 MB DDR2 + microSD for firmware - FPGA co-processor enabling hard real-time control extensions & advanced image processing extensions
- Integrated 2-cell Li-Ion battery charger (C=1.5A) (note: battery or battery emulator required for proper operation)
The native development environment for Kovan is based upon OpenEmbedded, the same system used by the Beaglebone. Sutajio Ko-Usagi's PCBA-only version of Kovan comes with C and Python support out of the box, so you can get started right away with development -- no need to set up cross-compilers. For more information on the software environment, please visit Kosagi's site.
The package offered in limited quantities at Adafruit for $249 is the Kovan main board and power supply for development use, configured as a battery emulator, intended for intermediate and advanced developers who can roll their own battery and casing solution.
This board is the heart of the 501©(3) non-profit KISS Institute for Practical Robotics' next-generation controller, valued at $400. KIPR's solution will come with a case, integrated battery, LCD, speaker, and an enhanced development environment suitable for entry level hobbyists and students; it will be available for purchase in January at the Botball store.
Kovan - Open source smart robotics controller (0:03)
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.