In physical computing it’s sometimes nice to know how physically close you are to an object. In other words, you may need to know your ‘proximity’ to an object, that’s where the VCNL4000 does its magic. Okay, it’s not actually magic, it’s a combination ambient light sensor and IR proximity sensor.
The VCNL4000 can detect its proximity to an object using IR within a range of about 20cm. Proximity data as well as ambient light level data can be collected over an I2C interface. This breakout board gives you access to the I2C pins, the Vcc pin, GND and the IR+ pin (power supply for the built-in IR emitter). Simply give the board a clean 3.3V power source and give the IR emitter anywhere from 2.5-5V and you’ll be able to tell how far you are from an object up to 20cm.
Note: We changed the name of this item from “Infrared Emitter Breakout” to “Infrared Proximity Breakout” to give a better idea of its full range of functionality. It’s the same part that it has always been.
- Voltage Rating: 3.3V
- IR Emitter Vin: 2.5-5V
- I/O pins are 5V compliant
- Range: Up to 20cm
- Built-in Ambient Light Sensor
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.