A small, portable inverter for EL wire. Powers off of 2 AA batteries (not included!), it can drive 1 to 8 feet (about 2.5m) of Adafruit's high-brightness EL wire for 10 hours. There is a button for selecting steady/blink/off modes. There's a removable clip on the back. Comes with a 2.5mm pitch female JST connector
To connect a piece EL wire to this, you'll want a male connector wire
The EL inverter requires a 'load' to stabilize itself. Do not run the inverter without at least 1 ft of EL wire attached! Otherwise the inverter can spike and damage itself
Like all inverters Adafruit have used, the 2000 Hz oscillation is slightly audible. To reduce the squeaking, we suggest opening up the case padding it with thick foam tape/weatherstripping. Squirting some hot glue around the capacitors may also help. Adafruit managed to get it silent this way.
Soldering to EL wire is a little tricky but luckily Adafruit wrote a detailed step-by-step tutorial!
- Size: 101mm x 31mm x 19mm (4in x 1.25in x 0.75in)
- Weight (without batteries): 34g (1.2oz)
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.