Removing SMD parts more complex than a resistor or SOT-23 can be a real bear. You want to get the part off without damaging traces, and if possible, without damaging the part either. You could haul out your hot air tool or you could go in surgically with this handy SMD Removal Kit from Chipquik - SMD removal is made easy! It uses a special metal alloy that bonds to your solder but stays liquid for a long time so can melt it over the existing pads and then remove with tweezers.
This is the lead-free alloy version, They also have a slightly less expensive not lead-free version.
In just four steps you're rocking and rolling:
- Apply flux [Adafruit used the Chipquick Tack Flux 10cc Syringe] to all leads of SMD
- Solder alloy uniformly on all pins of SMD
- Lift SMD or slide SMD from board
- Clean site with swab dipped in flux, solder wick, alcohol pad.
- 2.5 feet of lead-free Removal Alloy
- 1x tube of No-Clean Paste Flux
- 5x Alcohol wipes
- Instruction sheet
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.