This is the first hands-on guide to the entire process of designing and manufacturing open source hardware. Drawing on extensive personal experience with DIY, maker, and hardware hacking projects, industry-leading contributors share proven approaches to design, fabrication, manufacturing, troubleshooting, licensing, documentation, and running an open source hardware business.
Part I covers the emergence and evolution of open source hardware, what open source hardware licenses mean, and the growing role of standards in making hardware more open. Part II offers expert advice from author contributors on key tasks, ranging from creating derivatives to using source files. Part III turns to production, showing how to manufacture at multiple scales - from personal to commercial.
Appendixes provide valuable checklists for design, manufacture, security, and documentation. And to foster even more hands-on learning and experimentation, the low-cost Blinky Buildings open sources hardware kit is used as an example throughout.
Learn How To:
- Get involved in the open source hardware community - its history and values.
- Develop designs you can successfully prototype and manufacture.
- Walk step by step through making derivatives from existing projects.
- Build open source 3D printers, and remix 3D printable objects.
- Create open source wearables.
- Work with diverse source files, from electronics to other physical materials.
- Fabricate your own designs.
- Move from prototype to commercial manufacturing, and troubleshoot problems.
- Choose a business model and build a profitable open source hardware company.
- Avoid pitfalls associated with trademarks, copyrights, patents, and licensing.
- Write documentation other hardware hackers can use.
- Use open source hardware in education, helping students learn without boundaries.
- Author: Alica Gibb
- Publisher: Addison-Wesley Professional
- Paperback: 368 pages
- ISBN-10: 0321906047
- ISBN-13: 978-0321906045
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.