The BlueSMiRF Silver is a Bluetooth wireless serial link from SparkFun Electronics. This version of the popular BlueSMiRF uses the RN-42 module, which has a bit less range than the RN-41 module. These modems work as a serial (RX/TX) pipe. Any serial stream from 2400 bps to 115200 bps can be passed seamlessly from your computer to your target.
The modem can be powered from 3.3 V to 6 V for easy battery attachment. All signal pins are 3 V to 6 V tolerant. No level shifting is required.
For more information and resources to help you use the BlueSMiRF Silver, see the guide on SparkFun’s site. The RN-42 Bluetooth module datasheet and the Roving Networks Blueooth product user’s guide can be found under the Resources tab.
Warning: Do not attach this device directly to a serial port. You will need an RS232 to TTL converter circuit if you need to attach this to a computer.
This unit does not include any additional hardware or connectors. The 0.1″-spaced holes work well with Pololu's breakaway male header pins.
- FCC approved Class 2 Bluetooth radio modem
- Size: 0.15″ × 0.63″ × 1.65″
- Operating voltage: 3.3 V to 6 V
- Very robust link both in integrity and transmission distance (18 m)
- Hardy frequency hopping scheme – operates in harsh RF environments like WiFi, 802.11g, and Zigbee
- Encrypted connection
- Frequency: 2.4 GHz to 2.524 GHz
- Serial communications: 2400 bps to 115200 bps
- Operating temperature: -40 °C to +70 °C
- Built-in antenna
- Firmware version 6.15
Note: SparkFun calls this product the “Bluetooth Modem – BlueSMiRF Silver” SKU: WRL-12577.
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.