Coding for kids is cool with Raspberry Pi and this elementary guide!
Even if your kids don't have an ounce of computer geek in them, they can learn to code with a Raspberry Pi and this wonderful book. Written for 11 to 15-year-olds and assuming no prior computing knowledge, this book uses the wildly successful, low-cost, credit-card-sized Raspberry Pi computer to explain fundamental computing concepts. Young people will enjoy going through the book's nine fun projects while they learn basic programming and system administration skills, starting with the very basics of how to plug in the board and turn it on.
The second edition is updated for the latest revision of the Raspberry Pi Model B+!
Each project includes a lively and informative video to reinforce the lessons. It's perfect for young, eager self-learners—your kids can jump in, set up their Raspberry Pi, and go through the lessons on their own.
- Written by Carrie Anne Philbin, a high school teacher of computing who advises the U.K. government on the revised ICT Curriculum
- Teaches 11 to 15-year-olds programming and system administration skills using Raspberry Pi
- Features 9 fun projects accompanied by lively and helpful videos
Help your children have fun and learn computing skills at the same time with Adventures in Raspberry Pi.
Table of Contents
- About the Author v
- Acknowledgments vi
- Introduction 1
- Adventure 1: You Have a Raspberry Pi. Now What? 9
- Adventure 2: Taking Command of Your Raspberry Pi 27
- Adventure 3: Creating Stories and Games with Scratch 45
- Adventure 4: Programming Shapes with Turtle Graphics 77
- Adventure 5: Programming with Python 101
- Adventure 6: Programming Minecraft Worlds on the Raspberry Pi 129
- Adventure 7: Coding Music with Sonic Pi 149
- Adventure 8: Using the GPIO Pins on the Raspberry Pi 171
- Adventure 9: The Big Adventure: Building a Raspberry Pi Jukebox 197
- Appendix: Where to Go from Here 223
- Glossary 229
- Index 235
- As of February 9th, 2015 Adafruit are stocking the second edition!
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.