Build and customize your very own open-source button grid controller based on the Adafruit Trellis with the UNTZtrument kit! Designed by PaintYourDragon, this DIY kit comes with delicious translucent button pads, controller pads, diffused white LEDS and a custom laser cut enclosure. The result is a sturdy and elegant but also super-hackable music or video (or something else???) controller device
Adafruit designed this kit for ease of use and ultimate flexibility. All you need is an Arduino Leonardo, basic soldering tools and an afternoon. Once assembled and programmed with the Arduino IDE, this box turns into a USB MIDI device that works with any computer and has 64 buttons with controllable LEDs. Adafruit's default example program sends a MIDI Note On and Off message for each button press but with a little programming ingenuity you can send and receive any kind of MIDI command. Since its USB MIDI it can work instantly with just about all synth software. Don't like MIDI? The Leonardo can also emulate a USB keyboard or plain old USB serial.
Since it's Arduino-powered, adding more stuff like accelerometers, potentiometers, rotary encoders, etc. is straight-forward and uses existing libraries available on the Internets. If you want to add some knobs, rotary encoders or pots, check out the UNTZtrument accessory plate.
Each order comes with:
- Four Trellis control PCBs
- Four matching Trellis Elastomer button pads - 64 total buttons
- An LED pack of diffused white 3mm LEDs - 70 total LEDs, so you have a couple extra.
- Custom designed laser-cut enclosure, clear body and black top
You'll need to add: an Arduino Leonardo, some 22AWG solid core wire (better than stranded but stranded will also work in a pinch), soldering iron & solder, basic hand tools, and a micro USB cable.
Check out the assembly and usage tutorial for code, diagrams, instructions, files and more!
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.