Adafruit sure love the ATmega328 here at Adafruit, and Adafruit use them a lot for Adafruit's own projects. The processor has plenty of GPIO, Analog inputs, hardware UART SPI and I2C, timers and PWM galore - just enough for most simple projects. When Adafruit need to go small, Adafruit use a Pro Trinket 3V or 5V, but when size isn't as much of a concern, and a USB-serial converter is required, Adafruit reach for an Adafruit METRO.
METRO is the culmination of years of playing with AVRs: Adafruit wanted to make a development board that is easy to use and is hacker friendly.
- ATmega328 brains - This popular chip has 32KB of flash (1/2 K is reserved for the bootloader), 2KB of RAM, clocked at 16MHz
- Power the METRO with 7-9V polarity protected DC or the micro USB connector to any 5V USB source. The 2.1mm DC jack has an on/off switch next to it so you can turn off your setup easily. The METRO will automagically switch between USB and DC.
- METRO has 20 GPIO pins, 6 of which are Analog in as well, and 2 of which are reserved for the USB-serial converter. There's also 6 PWMs available on 3 timers (1 x 16-bit, 2 x 8-bit). There's a hardware SPI port, hardware I2C port and hardware UART to USB.
- GPIO Logic level is 5V but by cutting and soldering closed a jumper, you can easily convert it to 3.3V logic
- USB to Serial converter, there's a hardware USB to Serial converter that can be used by any computer to listen/send data to the METRO, and can also be used to launch and update code via the bootloader
- Four indicator LEDs, on the front edge of the PCB, for easy debugging. One green power LED, two RX/TX LEDs for the UART, and a red LED connected to pin PB5
- Easy reprogramming, comes pre-loaded with the Optiboot bootloader, which is supported by avrdude and only uses 512 bytes.
- Beautiful styling by PaintYourDragon and Bruce Yan, in Adafruit Black with gold plated pads.
- Works with all Adafruit designed shields!
This version of the METRO 328 comes as a fully assembled and tested development board but without any headers attached. We do include some through-hole headers that you can solder on if you like, or you can solder wires or header directly to the breakout pads. They also include 4 rubber bumpers to keep it from slipping off your desk.
- ATmega328 microcontroller with Optiboot (UNO) Bootloader
- USB Programming and debugging via the well-supported genuine FTDI FT231X
- Input voltage: 7-9V (a 9VDC power supply is recommended)
- 5V regulator can supply peak ~800mA as long as the die temp of the regulator does not exceed 150*C
- 3.3V regulator can supply peak ~150mA as long as the die temp of the regulator does not exceed 150*C
- 5V logic with 3.3V compatible inputs, can be converted to 3.3V logic operation
- 20 Digital I/O Pins: 6 are also PWM outputs and 6 are also Analog Inputs
- 6-pin ICSP Header for reprogramming
- 32KB Flash Memory - 0.5K for bootloader, 31.5KB available after bootloading
- 16MHz Clock Speed
- Compatible with "Classic" and "R3" Shields
- Adafruit Black PCB with gold plate on pads
- 53mm x 68.5mm / 2.1" x 2.7"
- Height (w/ barrel jack): 13mm / 0.5"
- Weight: 16.5g
- Derivative of "Arduino UNO R3 Reference design"
- Open source hardware files on github!
- Fritzing object in the Adafruit Fritzing Library
- ATmega328P product page
Documentation and Resources:
Exact shipping can be calculated on the view cart page (no login required).
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (3-7 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (Overnight for Australia Post Next Day Network, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (here's a PDF which includes other key business details):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Take a look at our customer service page if you have other questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.