Calling all fashion moguls: Here is your chance to play with the most experimental materials in 21st Century fashion! This is the 21st Century Fashion Kit, an e-textiles resource pack filled with everything you need to add a bit of modern technology to your clothes, bags, shoes, or any other wearable piece of apparel. If you have a fair grasp on e-textiles and are looking for more of a challenge, this kit is a great next step!
Unlike our normal project kits that have a set structure on how everything inside can be used, the 21st Century Fashion Kit is a collection of resources for e-textile users and fashion designers to push their ideas to the next level. For more experimental designs, there are materials to make elements that change shape when inflated and tools to make electrochromatic circuits that change color when turned on, sapphire blue thermochromatic pigment (which bears a striking resemblance to Yves Saint Laurent’s #18 Blue Majorelle nail polish) that is a great when mixed with paint/polish/clay/etc. to create colors that change with variable temperature, or even creating an edgy glowing skull for a macabre flair. Traditional fashion craftsmanship is combined with tech in two items from the NYC garment district. We worked with a 4th generation, family owned silk flower manufacturer to develop a handmade RGB LED flower. In a warehouse, we discovered a small box filled with unused stock of gold plated thread from the 1930’s that is conductive (with very low resistance). Use your imagination with this kit, push the bounds of your creativity, and try new and different things!
Note: This product is a collaboration with Diana Eng. A portion of each sales goes back to them for product support and continued development.
Note: Educational Materials are on the way! We are currently putting together some great instructional resources for this kit. Stay tuned!
- 1x Silk Flower RGB LED
- 1x Squirrel Cage Blower
- 1x White Lace Tablecloth
- 1x Leather Skull
- 1x Sapphire Blue Thermochromatic Pigment (20g)
- 1x LiPo Charger Basic - Micro-USB
- 1x MOSFET Power Controller
- 1x USB microB Cable - 6 Foot
- 1x Needle Set
- 1x Vintage Thread
- 2x Conductive Thread Bobbin - 30ft (Stainless Steel)
- 6x LED - Violet 5mm
- 1x Polymer Lithium Ion Battery - 1000mAh
- 1x 9V Alkaline Battery
- 2x Coin Cell Battery - 20mm (CR2032)
- 1x 9V Snap Connector
- 2x Sewable Coin Cell Battery Holder - 20mm
- 1x 21st Century Fashion Kit Poster
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
- The Maker Revolution
The Maker Revolution celebrates the creation of new devices and the modification of existing ones - the transition from a consumer buying goods to eventually having a major part in their creation. The Maker Revolution places strong emphasis on free (...
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.95 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
- Pickup - Free! Only available to customers who live in the Newcastle region (only after we email you to notify your order is ready)
International Orders - the following rates are for New Zealand and will vary for other countries:
- $11.49 for Pack and Track (3+ days, tracked)
- $16.50 for Express International (2-5 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address:
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.