This camera was designed to be used in security systems and does two main things - it outputs NTSC video and can take snapshots of that video and transmit them over the TTL serial link. You can snap pictures at 640x480, 320x240 or 160x120 and they're pre-compressed JPEG images which makes them nice and small and easy to store on an SD card. Perfect for a data-logging, security, or photography project.
One nice thing about this particular camera is all the 'extras' that come with it. For example it has manually adjustable focus, auto-white-balance, auto-brightness and auto-contrast taken care of for you as well as motion detectionbuilt in! That means you can have it alert your project when something moved in the frame.
Using the module is pretty easy and only requires two digital pins (or a TTL serial port) - by default it transmits at 38400 baud but the baud rate can be adjusted if you need to transmit the images faster. Of course Adafruit wouldn't just leave you with a datasheet and a 'good luck', Adafruit even spent a lot of time researching the module and DSP to make a really nice Arduino library with example code that shows how to change the image size and compression quality, detect motion, control the video output stream, etc. Adafruit also has a very detailed tutorial that will help get the most use out of your camera.
Example photo 1 (outside street) & example photo 2 (inside person)
Note: Adafruit has these working great with classic Arduino UNOs (and other Atmega328-based 'duinos) but they are not yet MEGA compatible.
- Metal Housing size: 2" x 2" x 2.5"
- Weight: 150 grams
- Image sensor: CMOS 1/4 inch
- CMOS Pixels: 30M
- Pixel size: 5.6um*5.6um
- Output format: Standard JPEG/M-JPEG
- White balance: Automatic
- Exposure: Automatic
- Gain: Automatic
- Shutter: Electronic rolling shutter
- SNR: 45DB
- Dynamic Range: 60DB
- Max analog gain: 16DB
- Frame speed: 640*480 30fps
- Scan mode: Progressive scan
- Viewing angle: 60 degrees
- Monitoring distance: 10 meters, maximum 15meters (adjustable)
- Image size: VGA（640*480), QVGA（320*240), QQVGA（160*120）
- Baud rate: Default 38400, Maximum 115200
- Current draw: 75mA without IR LEDs on. 250mA extra for IR LEDs
- Operating voltage: DC +5V
- Communication: 3.3V TTL （Three wire TX, RX, GND）
This product is listed in:
Documentation and Resources:
Documentation and Resources:
We deliver Australia-wide with these options:
- $3 for Small Items (4-6 days, not tracked, only available on selected small items)
- $6.95 for Standard Post (2-4 days, tracked)
- $8.32 for Express Post (1-2 days, tracked)
If you order lots of gear, the postage amount might increment based on the weight of your order.
Our physical address (no pickups sorry!):
Unit 18, 132 Garden Grove Parade
Please checkout our customer service page if you have other frequently asked questions such as "do we do purchase orders" (yes!) or "are prices GST inclusive" (yes they are!). We're here to help - get in touch with us to talk shop.